Our Action Plan
The Action Plan encompasses 6 key areas: Monitoring the Epidemic, Prevention, Reversal, Treatment, Recovery, and Law Enforcement Diversion. Read more about these six areas and key strategies happening on Staten Island in response to these measures.
The 15 measures aim to guide and align these response efforts throughout Staten Island. Click here to see the full report on North Star Measures for Tracking the Opioid Epidemic and Accelerating the Response on Staten Island.
Monitoring the Epidemic
- Improving data collection systems to allow access to more accurate and real time overdose data
- Sharing overdose data to help identify areas of greater need for intervention and urgent actions
- Expanding evidence-based prevention and early intervention programs in schools to help prevent addiction in youth.
- Educating the community about where to safely dispose prescription pain pills
- Empowering providers to practice safe prescribing of opioid medications and to screen patients for substance use
- Educating community members about the risks of opioid use and finding help when needed
- Ensuring community members know about Naloxone and how to get and use it
- Expanding Naloxone distribution sources and access
- Expanding access to medication assisted treatment (MAT) in critical moments, including emergency department, primary care offices, substance use treatment clinics
- Expanding the number of providers willing and able to prescribe buprenorphine through waiver trainings and technical assistance
- Improving how people find and link to treatment and support services by providing 24/7 appointment scheduling support, maintaining an up-to-date provider directory, and providing transportation to appointments
- Better engaging people to start and stay in treatment and recovery
- Growing capacity of peers to support individuals through recovery
- Increasing safe and affordable housing which is vital to the recovery process
Law Enforcement Diversion
- Diverting individuals from the criminal justice system into appropriate treatment and/or support services
- Educating and linking people to services anytime in 24/7 resource and recovery centers